Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Pattern Mixing

It started a few weeks ago when I ran across Gracey's post on Fashion for Giants on Style Imitating Art: the Floor Scrapers and started thinking about playing more with pattern mixing. I was too late to post to Style Imitating Art that round, but wore this outfit to work that week in homage to the post
Add caption
 I started with the blue curlicue top that I wore with brown pants through the winter, but thought to wear with a beige skirt this spring. I don't have a solid beige but pulled out this maxi skirt and decided I liked it together. I think the painting was in the back of my head.....
source
And I've continued to be more bold in my style mixing. But not quite as bold as Anne at Spy Girl! There's a lady who loves to mix it up and make it work. When she posted a pattern mixing challenge for her 52-Pick-Up series, I knew I had to up my game.

After playing in my closet for a bit, I came up with this combo that I really like but never would have considered before the pattern mixing challenge. It seems more autumn that spring, so I'll post about it here, and remind myself to take it for a spin in a few months.



This is pretty tame for pattern mixing pros, but it definitely is outside my norm. I kept the color family restrained and focused on the pattern/textures.

Linking up with Patti at Visible Mondays and with Bella at Secondhand First (because everything you see me wearing was purchased secondhand.)




7 comments:

  1. Tame? Your pattern mixture is looking wild to me! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good kind of wild pattern mixing! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent pattern mixing. The three patterns in that last photo are so pretty and with those colours look so lovely together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did AMAZING! Loved both, but especially the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never know what's going to work until we try it. Some pattern mixes are magically beautiful. Kudos to you for being adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pattern mixing looks great to me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really interesting combinations ... lots to look at and a connecting theme. You got it just right. I'd like to see it with a solid belt, too, just for fun. I love browns and blue together, always!

    ReplyDelete