Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Happy Birthday, Sammy

I had a plan: I would not adopt a dog until I bought a house.  I had so many reasons: dogs need much more social interaction than cats, more exercise, they are not as widely accepted in rentals.....I still did it ass-backwards when I met Sammy. And I'm so glad I did.

Sammy at 6 weeks old. 
Happy 6th birthday Sam.

Sammy at 6 years old. 
We did buy our first house a few years later. It all worked out. And now it's spring in the garden and stuff is blooming in every cranny.




 Perfect healthy roses in the Pacific Northwest are for meticulous gardeners. That is not me: I'm surprised mine even think about blooming.

 Rhododendrons and peonies are much easier to grow around here. The white peony was a gift from a neighbor last year: a rooted cutting of his. This is its first bloom in our yard, yay!

Hope you're finding things that make you happy and at home.


3 comments:

  1. We never regret loving animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there!
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment!!!
    Ha, every time I lose a cat I swear I won't have another...the little darlings worm their way into our hearts and life wouldn't be the same without them!! Sammy is a darling! One day I will have a dog....but cats are right for me at the moment!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rella, have you ever tried rugosa roses? They are so hardy they do just fine in the Pacific Northwest climate though they don't quite have the traditional fancy rose look. They are disease proof, aphid proof and deer proof. No blackspot or powdery mildew is ever a problem and I think they look great with rhodos and peonies. I had all of those things in my garden growing happily together.
    Sammy is adorable! What a sweet face.
    xo

    ReplyDelete